The most important
This rich women's monastery was founded in 1524 by Grand Duke Vasily III and immediately received the status of Grand duchesses. But it had another purpose — for several centuries the monastery became a powerful fortress that protected the approaches to ancient Moscow. His amazing story is a chronicle of the shed blood and tears of the most beautiful and noble women of the Russian land.
Type of excursion: walking
The tour is conducted only in Russian
We will learn:
- Why the chronicle of the monastery began several centuries before its Foundation;
- For whom Prince Vasili had erected such a magnificent abode;
- How many women of the Rurik family hid behind these walls Ivan the Terrible, and how many Tsar Peter;
- Who built the manor in the center of the monastery;
- What is called a big Novodevichy Cross;
- To whom Princess Sophia granted all the lands around the great monastery, and why her fate is linked with the monastery, and one of the towers bears her name;
- Whose heads Peter the Great chopped on the ice of the monastery pond;
- Why French Marshal Davout failed to blow up Novodevichy convent;
- Is it a coincidence his superiors today are women-scientists.