The most important
You will be able to reveal the historical and architectural significance of one of the oldest areas of Moscow — Chertolye, in which every object, whether it is a street, house or square, is a landmark in the life of not only Moscow, but also the whole of our country.
The tour includes a tour of five architectural objects of cultural heritage of Federal purpose. Students will get acquainted with the history of their creation, architectural features, and, of course, with those who built them, and who lived in them.
Price: 2500 RUB per a group
Duration: 2 hours
Type of the tour: walking
The tour is conducted only in Russian
During the tour there will be a story about the history of the ancient district of Moscow with a fancy name Chertolye, and chronicle of the construction and destruction of houses, temples, as well as the life story of famous people associated with them.
The route of the tour will take place in one of the oldest areas of Moscow, until the XVII century called Chertol. Today, this place is considered to be the Museum quarter of the capital. In a small area there are unique cultural attractions of the city: art galleries, museums, unique monuments of architecture. A considerable part of them is situated on the Art street Volkhonka.
Museum atmosphere reigned here for a long time. So in the sixties of the XIX century in the main house of the estate Golitsyn opened the famous Golitsyn Museum. The Museum includes works of art from the collections of representatives of different generations of princes Golitsyn. The Museum, unfortunately, has not survived to the present day. Its best exhibits are now stored in the Hermitage. But the ensemble of the estate has not lost its cultural and historical significance. It is one of the brightest examples of the architectural style of classicism in Moscow. In the XVIII century Golitsyn manor was part of the famous Prechistensky Palace, built by the famous architect Matvey Kazakov commissioned by Empress Catherine II.
Next to the estate is a Museum pearl of the capital — the State Museum of Fine Arts. A. Pushkin Founder of the Pushkin Museum. Pushkin's I. Tsvetayev, once it builds a Museum, have dreamed of expansion. A century later, a grandiose project of the Museum town, which occupies an entire quarter, was born. Now the Museum has 27 buildings, which should be combined into a single Museum complex.
The place where the Museum is now located. Pushkin has repeatedly changed its purpose. In the middle of the XVI century, here transferred from the Kremlin Royal stables. Later built sheds for carriages or rattletrap, hence the name — Kolymazhny Dvor. Its echoes are still preserved in the surrounding toponymy — in the name of the Church of the Hieromartyr Antipas on Kolymazhny yard and lane.
The temple has a rare architectural feature for Orthodox Church — the presence of two apses, which is why the Royal gates are shifted to the left of the center. For almost five hundred years, this temple nursed kings, grooms, princes, merchants, soldiers, doctors and artists. The history of this Church is closely connected with the name of Ivan the Terrible, who especially revered the Hieromartyr Antipas. All this makes it an interesting historical and architectural object Volkhonka.
On the opposite side of the street stands the Cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church — the white marble Church of Christ the Savior. It is a recreation of the eponymous temple of the XIX century. The original Church was erected in 1883 in the Russian-Byzantine style. The Cathedral of Christ the Savior is a votive temple, a memorial temple, because its construction was a tribute to the memory of the exploits of the Russian people in the war of 1812, in gratitude to the Providence of God for saving the Motherland from the Napoleonic enemy. The height of the temple is more than a hundred meters, it allows you to see the dome at a distance of several kilometers. The Church faces the street Volkhonka Northern facade, and on its southern side is the Patriarch's bridge. The bridge has become a favorite walking place for Muscovites and guests of the capital, because it offers a beautiful view of the Kremlin and the opposite side of the river from The Bersenyev embankment.
From the Patriarch's bridge you can also see the house with a quaint roof and a facade of red brick. This is Pepper's house. It is worth to come closer to admire the subjects of panels of majolica mosaic, artfully carved doorways, balconies supported by twisted fairy snakes. «House-tale» belonged to the engineer P. Pertsov. It was designed according to the sketches of the artist, the Creator of the Russian matryoshka S. Malyutin and built in 1907 by the architect N. Zhukov in the art Nouveau style.
House Pepper stands at the beginning of Soymonovsky passage, which leads to the end point of our route. The passage got its name from the name of the famous homeowner Mikhail Fedorovich Syomonov — a privy Councilor and a man who played a huge role in the development of mining in the Russian Empire. In the old days there was a border Chertolya, and now it is a small street in the center of the capital, attracting the attention of tourists and citizens for its architectural splendor, created by architects B. Schnaubert, A. Popov, N. Zhukov, etc.